Saturday, May 22, 2010

Friday's Dinner




UBER NOM!!! When Poppy and I were at Costco, we bought some Rocky Chicken Spinach and Feta Sausages. So not entirely sure what I wanted to do with them. I called in the expert, Netty-Mae for a Food 911...She was thinking the sausage would be good as a sandwich, or a warm pasta salad. Of course the German in me was thinking sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and a side of mustard. Then we started talking pasta. Here's how it came out...I got a red, orange and green bell pepper, a red onion, a bag of Euro greens and a box of Campanelle pasta (looks like ruffles on one of those tuxedo shirts from the 70's). Oh, and as a special treat, I picked some Nasturtium from the backyard. Stuff grows like weeds. Tastes like Peppercress.

First I steamed the greens a little cause Poppy hates, hates, hates bitter greens. Then I browned the sausage in a little olive oil and Kecky's Mushroom Infused Olive Oil. Then I sauteed the peppers, onion and garlic in the same pan that I'd browned the sausage in...uh huh! I added a little chicken broth to the pan just to get everything all moving off the bottom of the pan and mixed with the peppers. I added some of Kecky's Italian Seasoning, Kecky's Herbed Red Wine Vinegar, salt and pepper. Have I pimped the Kecky products sufficiently yet?? Right before it was done, I added the greens and a healthy dose of capers and more chicken broth. Simmered for just a minute or two and VOILA! If only I'd bought some parm to shave on top. Poppy thought that a little fresh feta would have really brought it out. She is right!

Time for another exciting episode of KEEPING UP WITH THE KECKY'S! Today is fixing to be a very exciting day! Not only is it Nephew Lucas and Niece Ashley's Birthday's (I know, weird they have the same birthday), but Poppy and I are going to go test drive hers-n-hers scooters.




These scooters are what scooters were before Vespa. I can't remember the manufacturer name, but Poppy knows. This model is called "Stella". They used to be available here years ago, but they were a 2-stroke variety scooter, which was outlawed sometime ago in California. So now, they've made a 4-stroke scooter that would be perfect for Poppy and I...oh, and Jax-The-Cheese-Connesewer to get around town. As you can imagine, Poppy and I are very, very excited since it's been a couple of years since we've been on motorized two wheels. I really think that once you've had the thrill and freedom of riding a motorcycle you can't get it out of your blood. Poppy and I talked about this and it's something that we've both been missing. I haven't seen Poppy this excited about something in a long, long time.

You know, there's a whole culture around the Italian scooter set so this is going to open up a whole new world for Poppy and I...oh and Jax-The-Cheese-Connesewer. There's even a Women's scooter club. I can't remember the name though...story of my life, I tell ya! One of the best parts of the scooter culture for me is the clothes!!! Everything is soooo matchy matchy!

Are you wondering how we can afford basically $10,000 worth of scooters while we're just laying out thousands for the new Kasa Kecky? Well, as luck would have it, Poppy and I can get a very low-interest loan though the bank so the payments would only be $100 each a month. We're paying off our truck and that's going to free up $400 a month. We originally had planned on buying a house upwards of $725,000 but instead bought for $690,000. Once the Tax Credits hit, we pay them off. So it all works out.

Here comes the justification...Originally, I was thinking of the scooters as a luxury item, but after really thinking about it, it is somewhat of a necessity. The bike ride to work is going to be a hefty hour commute. On those days that either one of us don't feel like riding our bikes, yet we don't want to drive the truck, nor do we want to bother Seester Kathy or Friend Laurie to pick us up, we can take the scooter. This is also a fine plan for when both of us have doctor's or dentist's appointments given that those are both located in the land of no parking. Why it just makes sense...and is just an automatic segue into our old age...



Some of you know my old-age fantasy that when I'm too old, fat and immobile to care what people say or think, I'll be sitting on my Hoveround (that pal, Jeannie's son has painted flames on) wearing my Sea Foam velour jogging suit, bitching and moaning about all my aches and pains, running over little kids and small animals while throwing up a fist yelling F__CK YOU! Oh, old age is going to be fun!

Okay, off to my shower cause I've got a truck load to take to the Presidio Spring Clean!

Amy-Mae, II...I'll be thinking about you tonight when I'm singing "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" on Rockband!

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment