Friday, May 7, 2010

Dad & Shirley...

Most of you know they have been cleared for discharge. That was many hours ago and everyone has been sitting around waiting and waiting. I left the hospital with Sister Kathy's car to go grocery shopping cause Papa and Mama Bear don't have nothin to eat.

Sister Kathy called me at 4:30 to say that she finally talked to the Certified Nursing Assistant, Crystal and asked when they were going to get released. She said she'd go ask that sorry excuse for a nurse, Deborah. Turns out, Dippy-Deborah left 5 minutes ago for lunch and she's the only one who can release them. This will be about the fourth time today we've gone all Brooklyn on Deborah.

After they are released they need to go to the "Infusion Department" to get their blood thinner shots. They also need to come back to the hospital on Saturday and Sunday morning for more shots. I asked Dippy-Deborah if I could give them their shots so we wouldn't have to come back and forth. Transporting Shirley is not fun at all, especially for her. It's very painful. So Dippy-Deborah didn't know the answer so she went to check and it turns out I can give them the shots but if I do that at home it's not covered by Medicare so the shots will cost $1,000 each. We're happy to come back to the hospital.

Here's a picture of Dad from earlier today. We'd brought him is robe, slippers and shaving stuff...and he was about to get lunch so he was one happy camper. Should have seen his face when they told him he could go home!



I have to say that Dad and I have had our problems in the past...well, I've had my problems with him in the past, but he's really a fun guy when he's in a good mood. We have so much fun at the hospital and when we go to the doctors. The nurses, aids and volunteers love him. He's even more fun now that he's confused. Sister Kathy and I like messing with him. We were talking today about how he'll be taking an aspirin everyday. I told him that Mom used to take an aspirin everyday. He goes "She does?" I said "No, not anymore, she's dead." I'm not sure whose Mother he thought I was talking about but we all ended up laughing.

Missy has been really fun too. She's developed a really good relationship with Dad and she takes such good care of the both of them. It's not an easy job, either. We're going to start planning our visits at times when she needs a break and can get out of Dodge for a few days.

Well, it's about 6:00pm now and they're still not home. Hope they get here soon!

Talk to you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment