Thursday, March 11, 2010

Wednesday's Dinner


Well I finally got around to using the chicken broth I made on Sunday. I made a miso chicken soup with tofu, thinly sliced onion, chayote squash, bamboo shoots and chopped oyster mushrooms. For starters I heat the broth, then I take a teaball and fill it with about two tablespoons of ground black pepper. I take the teaball and swirl it around in the hot broth for about a minute tasting it as I go along. I like it peppery but not so hot that it makes your eyelids sweat. Once I get it to the flavor I want, I add the onion and chayote and bring it to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Throw in the rest of the ingredients and simmer another 10 minutes. I used about 1/2 cup of miso paste mixed with a little of the broth so it gets a little liquidy. Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the miso. In the bowls I put cooked Udon noodles, shredded chicken, finely diced green onions, baby spinach leaves and a little chopped cilantro. I also have condiments such as soy sauce, Sriracha sauce and Nanami Togarashi (Japanese chili pepper seasoning). Yep, NOM! Sorry but the picture doesn't do it justice...I forgot to take it until we were almost done.

No comments:

Post a Comment