Monday, March 8, 2010

Monday's Dinner


Don'tcha know that it's going to be Taco Night once again. So, let's talk about Monday's lunch then. I woke up with a screaming sinus headache and general malaise over our house-hunting expedition (aka, our second job) so I stayed home from work. I'm pretty sure Jax-The-Cheese-Connesewer would love it if I was a stay at home mom. Already today, she has hoovered up small pieces of chicken (okay, a really big one too) and whole wheat tortilla crumbs and a few crumbs of Feta. That should give you a hint as to what I had for lunch. It all starts on Sunday because my goal was to make my whole wheat tortillas and some chicken stock. I like to have the tortillas for my breakfasts during the week. I'll usually put some of my favorites on them like cottage cheese and chives or even some peanut butter. I know, I know it sounds disgusting but it is really nutritious and not processed and damn it, I like it! For those of you who don't know me, EVERYTHING tastes better with cottage cheese on it! Onto the chicken stock. I boil a chicken, take the meat off the bone and make stock. This would be the base for Tuesday's dinner, chicken miso soup. After I boil the chicken for an hour, I remove the meat and skin. Then I take the bones and crack them so the marrow will release. The bones go into a roasting pan on a bed of Mirepoix. Roast for about 45 minutes until the bones start to brown and release their juices. Then I take all that NOMNESS and put it in the pot with the water that I used to boil the chicken. I deglaze the roasting pan with a either a little chicken stock, Fino Sherry or dry white wine and throw that in the pot too. Cover and boil for an hour. I strain it and put it back in the pot and cook it down uncovered for about 20 minutes just to reduce it and get it concentrated...and viola, Liquid Gold!


Back to today's lunch...I took a couple of my whole wheat tortillas and heated them up, put a little chicken, salt, fresh spinach, onion, Feta and Chipotle Tabasco sauce and called it lunch. Tad dry, but still NOM NOM! You can probably see how "rustic" looking those tortillas are. I roll them by hand so they are very less than perfect but I'm happy to report Poppy has purchased a tortilla press for me! I should get it tomorrow and I'm very excited. It's not that I don't like the "rustic-ness" of my tortillas, it just takes a long time to roll them out. I'm old...I have arthritis in my hands so might as well make it easy on myself, eh? That's all for today. Chow for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment