Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday's Dinner

I'll get to that later...after we talk about lunch. I asked Poppy to buy me a tortilla press cause I like making my own whole wheat tortillas. So she bought me one and she also requested that I make her some corn tortillas. And that's what I did today. Way easy to make and the tortilla press is quite a simple invention...it's all about the leverage.

Actually, last weekend when I made my whole wheat tortillas I thought that maybe I could press my own, so I put the dough between two pieces of plastic and then between two cutting boards and sat on them. I guess I didn't have enough pounds-per-square-butt-inch to make them thin enough so I gave up and rolled them with the rolling pin.

Okay, back to the corn tortillas. To start with I put two cups of Mesca flour in a big bowl, then threw about 1/4 tablespoon of salt and 1 1/4 cup of water into the flour and mixed up with my hands until is was a moist dough-ball. Roll the dough into little balls with your hand and then put them through the tortilla press. I heated a cast iron skillet and cooked them for about 50 seconds on each side and there you have it...corn tortillas!



On one of those corn tortillas I put a little shredded sharp cheddar, green onions, cilantro and...YEAH, some Pancetta...cause everything tastes better with pork! I heated it until the cheese melted. Served it with a little side of plain Greek-style yogurt (I use that instead of sour cream) and salsa. Again, NOM!



Stay tuned for dinner...

So I'm a fan of Lundberg rice. I bought a six-pack of Jubilee Rice (a mix of different brown rices such as Wehani, Black Japonica, short and medium grain red rice, short and long grain brown rice and sweet brown rice). I ended up getting a recipe off of Lundberg's website for Jubilee Casserole. Pretty simple, rice, cheddar cheese, zuchini, tomatoes and sour cream all layered...but I added pancetta to it also! Served it with a spinach salad. Medium NOM...



See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment