Thursday, January 6, 2011

Shoes, Wedgie and Popcorn Fun-Facts


Well, I was hoping when Tight-Wad-Poppy read my blog yesterday, the Artchie Hiker's would be on their way to me. But no such luck. Hmmm, must think of some other way to get my Artchie's...

Okay, on to something less depressing...food!



Dinner for Fatass and LuvBacon was meat and greens. Without getting into much detail, we are in the process of changing our diet to a lower carbohydrate one. Boss-Karen's husband, George turned me on to the book so if you're interested in the science behind this, and are highly edumacated, I recommend the book Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. If you would like the Terra Nova-graduate-dumbed-down version, I can would strongly recommend the book Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It by Gary Taubes

It's the basic principle of keeping your insulin level steady so that means no refined carbs and keeping your total "good" carb intake to about 20 grams a day. For me, it is about losing weight, but also keeping myself heart healthy.

These books will change the way you look at the food you eat and the myth that has been ingrained in all of us about health and eating. I'm still having trouble wrapping my brain around it. Kind of like when I realized that there was no God, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Hey, guess who came for a vissy this morning?



Yep, my BFF-Lil-Wedgie-Guru-Mike. What a long story this is...The problem: the safety valve on Lil-Wedgie needs to be replaced. The reason BFF-Mike has been visiting us so much was to try to avoid this fix. So here's the deal...Lil-Wedgie is a tired old girl. She's so old she doesn't have any part, model or serial numbers on her.

Depression-Era-Poppy tells me they didn't need part numbers and such in the old days. You'd just get your quill and ink bottle, draw a picture and take it to the blacksmith. Easy-squeezy!

Anyway, BFF-Mike has to take the valve out and have it refurbished. This could take anywhere from 2-5 weeks. When he reported all of this to the home warranty company, the rep sent all this to their purchasing department to decide if we should go ahead with the fix or replace Lil-Wedgie completely. I know this because the rep called me and we talked. She said she couldn't really understand my BFF-Lil-Wedgie-Guru-Mike so wanted to go over the details with me.

I told the gal that Lil-Wedgie is an antique so it would need to be appraised if it were to be replaced. It's likely worth over $5,000. Research-Poppy is looking into the value of Lil-Wedgie right now. If we don't agree with their replacement, they will give us the cash value of the replacement. I fear this is the beginning of a very long process. Both Depression-Era-Poppy and I want to keep our Lil-Wedgie so this is going to get pretty interesting.

So my very dear and long-time friend (since I was 17), Jeannie has this fun-facts post on her Facebook every day. You might see why she's my friend, but that's beside the point. This is what I read today:



New and improved for 2011, it's....The Return Of Fun Facts!
Did you know that the fur of the binturong, also known as the "Asian Bear Cat," smells like popcorn? The scent is believed to come from a gland located near the tail. Yummy...would you like butter flavoring with that?


Okay, I had to comment on this. Ever smell old people? They smell like popcorn. Know why? Yeah, old pee-pee. I think that Asian Bear Cat just has a frequent urination problem.

That's all for today.

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment