Sunday, November 14, 2010

Saturday's Dinner

There is this place called Rancho Gordo that sells all kinds of heirloom beans. Boss Karen swears by them. I decided that it would be just as cost-effective to buy some beans online from Rancho rather than head on down to the Ferry Building to their store. I know it sounds lazy, but we really haven't had time for such outings since the purchase of Kasa Kecky. I bought ten pounds of beans. All kinds...Cranberry, Scarlet Runner, Eye of the Goat, Yellow Eye, Pinquitos; just to name a few.

I made a big pot of minestrone soup using the Cranberry beans. So NOM! Of course, Poppy, my live-in food critic's chief complaint was that the pasta in the soup got a little gooshy, but for me that's part of the fun of the soup. See, when I was a kid, my Mom would buy Riviera Minestrone Soup and the pasta is all gooshy in that too. Brings back such good memories for me.



You know how you have your favorite comfort food? Well, this was mine. Last time I had it was when I was up in Sacramento visiting my friend; we'd gone to Longs Drugs to pick up some booze and adult diapers for her house-bound Mom. I know...don't ask. I was wondering around the store and I found it...Riviera Soup! I almost cried. I bought out the store. I can see now that I can get it on Amazon...what a treat!

Anyway, the next time I make the soup, Poppy, my live-in food critic, requested I serve the pasta on the side. Hurumph!



Yesterday was another home project day. Poppy spent a great deal of time on the internet finding ways to spend all our money. Then off to the hardware store for a drill bit. The drill bit was for the new deadbolt she wants for the back door.



Another well-done project by the Poppy! Ain't nobody gonna be bustin in to Kasa Kecky, if they know what's good for them...and that includes those damn raccoons!!

The neighbor lady across the way peered out her window a few weeks back to tell me that our Spider Trees are resting on the fence and it's starting to bow. It was her nice way of saying trim the trees or we're going to be paying for a new fence before too long. So yesterday morning, I set out to trim those Spider Trees. I'm still itching. First I had to take a broom to the outside area of the trees to remove all the spider's homes and some spiders too. All the while I'm thinking, this is gonna come back to bite me. I'm going to wake up in the middle of the night with a giant spider in the room ready to make me it's dinner.



Once I removed as much of the webs as possible, it was time to assess how the trees were leaning. Such a creepy job. Lucky for me, I'd purchased an electric handsaw. Worked like a dream.

Heh, heh, heh...



I went downstairs this morning to find that those Spider Trees seem to have some kind of symbiotic relationship with ants. The green waste can is infested with the little bastards. I have an unusual disdain for ants...even more than the monkey. The green waste can is now out on the driveway!

Feels good to get that little project out of my hair...literally!

Enjoy your Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment