Monday, April 4, 2011

It Was A DIY Kecky Weekend!


I figure the rains are about over so time to get the backyard in order after a season of neglect. The lawn was about 5 inches long. In addition to mowing the lawn, I planted Poppy's Poppies. Poppy just luvs her poppies! I planted those poppy seeds in that long blue gutter thing. Treasure-Hunting-Poppy found that gutter thing on one of her hikes. Don't even ask me how she got it home, but it involved a lot of walking and her cousin and cousin's husband.

I also planted some Padron Peppers. We discovered the Padron when we were in Espana. They are so good and simple; just fry them in olive oil and then dust with any flake salt. I tried growing these in my cube/office a few years back because it can get about 80 degrees there from Spring through Fall. They did okay, but I only got a hand full of fruit. We'll see how they do in the backyard.

So there is this tree planted in the lawn of our backyard. I don't know what it is, but Aunt's Kathy and LeAnne tell me it's a magnolia of some kind, I just don't remember what kind they told me it was. I don't like the tree. The snails and Poppy love the tree. The tree will get a blossom or two and then they fall off. It's bugging me. I was talking about removing it and planting my Princess tree in it's place but Preservation-Poppy likes the tree.

The other day, I was taking Dad to his doctor's appointment and on Hillside in Daly City, I saw that [insert name here]-magnolia tree in the middle of someones front lawn. It was huge and it was beautiful. I think I've had a change of heart and am now committing myself to taking care of...are you ready...wait for it...wait for it...our Tulip Magnolia tree!





While I was working in the yard, DIY-Poppy was putting together her new patio tables. Just not any tables either. After much research, 10-2-&-4-Poppy finally found the tables she's been looking for. These were the only two Dr. Pepper tables left for sale anywhere. She ended up finding them from the maker. Why does DDP-Poppy love these tables? Because she was born in Waco, Texas...home of Dr. Pepper and the Branch Davidians. How's that for a claim to fame? We've even been to the Dr. Pepper Museum. That was pretty much a rip. If you ever find yourself in Waco, you can skip it.



Here's Cava-Poppy's cup-o-cava and her table ready for assembly. I think she's probably the only person I know who drinks their sparking wine from a Loveless Cafe mug!

Alright, moving on...I emailed Pal-Nancy on Friday cause we'd not talked since December. Ended up making a plan for Sunday for her to come over and watch the Final Four Women's B-Ball games. Aggie-Poppy's A&M was playing Stanford so that was a not-to-be-missed-game. So very exciting! But really, who cares...it's all about the dinna for me.

Since Friend-Nancy isn't much of a meatetarian we went with a big salmon fillet, my dry-fry green beans and a mixed green salad with my home-grown arugula. I made a sauce for the beans which consisted of a little chicken broth, soy sauce, few drops of fish sauce, sesame oil, and some Truvia (Stevia sweetener) and minced ginger. I cooked that down for about 10 minutes. For the salad dressing I used, minced shallots, olive oil, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, salt and pepper...oh, and a touch of the Truvia. For the salmon, Grill-Mistress-Poppy decided to use the cedar planks and grill the fillet. Before she put it on the grill, she asked for a paste of ginger, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Friend-Nancy put all that in the mortar and pestle and then we spread it on the fishy. Once the fish was done, I drizzled a little of the Wasabi sauce on it. That's a sour cream, a touch of mayo, wasabi paste and about 2 tablespoons of the sauce I used for the green beans.





NOMM-O-LICIOUS!!

Here's a pic that Friend-Nancy took of us while I was taking the pics of the food.



So that about does it for the weekend. Sure was fun!

Chow!

No comments:

Post a Comment