Friday, March 4, 2011

Spray Misty For Me...

So yesterday while I was doing the afternoon mail in the basement of our building, the fire alarm went off. It's a very high-pitched intermittent beep that will make you deaf if you stay in the building for too long.

I came out of the mailroom to find some folks standing outside their offices and cubes with that look on their faces that said "Is this for real?" I started yelling "OUT, EVERYBODY OUT!" Cause you know, back in the law firm days I was one of the "Sweepers". When we had fire alarms, I would sweep the office making sure everyone got out. You bet I took my job seriously! Nice to know I still gots skill.

After I was done with my sweep, I joined my co-workers out on the front lawn. Seems an eternity that we were standing out there and no fire folks were in sight. Given that the Fire Department is about a half-block down the street, we kind of figured they'd be here lickity-split. As it turns out, one of the things that Co-Worker-Friend-Family-Laurie and I were tasked with was to have the "panic buttons" tested with the Park Police dispatch. Eric from our I.T. Department was doing that very same thing right when we had the fire alarm, so the dispatch thought it was a false alarm and that's why nobody showed up.

Anyhoo, the fire alarm panel read "Smoke In Basement." But I came from the basement and I didn't smell or see any smoke. What could it be? Well, after Fire-Inspector-Matt made his inspection, he found the culprit:



Yep, the cause of the fire alarm was a can of Misty Deodorizer (with a pleasant Meyer Lemon scent). Evidently, someone made a doody in the toidy, used the Misty and the button malfunctioned; the entire can emptied itself in the bathroom and then set off the alarm. Fire-Inspector-Matt said when he opened the door it was a fog of Meyer Lemon scented Misty.

Let me tell you, a little spritz of the Misty goes a long, long way and truth be told, it really doesn't help but make what's been done smell like, well, Meyer Lemon Misty coated caca. Just sayin!

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment