Monday, October 18, 2010

Treegator!!!


Not only did we get our first rain in the New Kasa Kecky, but I installed my Treegator! So the tree, Olive, needs a substantial amount of water it's first few years of life. It was placed there a year ago November by the Friends of the Urban Forest (FUF). We had olive trees in our backyard when I was growing up, but all I knew about them was that they dropped their leaves...a lot and the fruit stained the concrete...and don't be walking in the house with that on your shoes either!

So I called FUF and asked them about the tree. They told me what it was and how much water it needed. They suggested getting a 5 gallon bucket and drilling some holes in it, then placing a heafty bag in the bucket and poking holes through the bag and that would make a little drip system. How attractive that would look out in front of the house. There is one house down the block with a kitty litter bucket next to their new tree. Anyway, up the street I saw they have Treegators around their trees. Now I have one! It will hold 20 gallons of water and will release over a period of about 10 hours. How cool is that?

Had pork chops for dinner last night that I brined in apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, maple syrup, salt and pepper corns for a few hours. Very tastey!!



See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment