Thursday, September 22, 2011

Today's Fun-Fact: Raynaud's Disease...

Raynaud's disease is a condition that causes some areas of your body — such as your fingers, toes, tip of your nose and your ears — to feel numb and cool in response to cold temperatures or stress. In Raynaud's disease, smaller arteries that supply blood to your skin narrow, limiting blood circulation to affected areas.

Women are more likely to have Raynaud's disease. It's also more common in people who live in colder climates.

Treatment of Raynaud's disease depends on its severity and the presence of associated conditions. For most people, Raynaud's disease is more a nuisance than a disability.

Doctors don't completely understand the cause of Raynaud's attacks, but blood vessels in the hands and feet appear to overreact to cold temperatures or stress:

Cold temperatures. When your body is exposed to cold temperatures, your extremities lose heat. Your body slows down blood supply to your fingers and toes to preserve your body's core temperature. Your body specifically reduces blood flow by narrowing the small arteries under the skin of your extremities. In people with Raynaud's, this normal response is exaggerated.

Stress. Stress causes a similar reaction to cold in the body, and likewise the body's response may be exaggerated in people with Raynaud's.


I have this little affliction. Found out about it some years back. All this to say...MY SCOOTER RIDE HOME LAST NIGHT WAS FREEZING!!



...and it's still Summer! The coldest winter I ever spent...Whatever!

I was very excited about my dinner last night. There's just nothing better than pork with sweet and a little heat. I had the leftover applesauce and sauerkraut. Netty-Mae gave me the idea for the rub on the pork. A little bit of Kecky's Steak Shake, a little smokey paprika (I used hot smokey paprika) and bind it with a little oil to make a rub. It was so good! A little salty and probably a little more heat than I wanted, but I was happy!



I also made some greens to go with. Basically, took a cup of chicken broth and a little onion powder and brought it to a boil. Added the greens, once they were wilted, in went some Dijon mustard. NOM! Pepper-Poppy added hot sauce and apple cider vinegar to her greens.

I need to work on my food pictures; they all look the same.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment