Friday, September 2, 2011

Meat!

Been craving a steak something awful...and a fat burrito too! The veggie request to go along with the steak was creamed spinach. So, here's how it went down...

First I dusted the ribeyes with Kecky's Steak Shake. Then I got all my creamed spinach fixings together. I also bought a couple of little white potatoes. I figured on the carb scale, a little potato is better than a fat potato and I wanted a damn potato. I don't mist pasta or bread, but I do miss the potato.



The potatoes are resting comfortably in olive oil, Kecky's Herb Salt and some pepper.

I have my easy squeezy creamed spinach recipe too:

2-16oz bags of spinach
2 cups finely shredded parm
1/8-1/4 tsp of freshly ground nutmeg
healthy squeeze of lemon
1 Tbs minced garlic
cream
1 Tbs piggy fat
salt and pepper

First I steam the spinach until wilted. Remover it from the steamer. Let it cool. Once cool, I take it by handfuls and get as much of the water out as you can.

Now, saute the garlic in the piggy fat for a minute or two. You don't have to use the piggy fat, but that's the goodness that tips this dish over the edge to INFINITY NOM.

Add the spinach and saute until you see some water release from it. I'd say 3 minutes or so.

Add the cream...do this to your desired consistency. Add some salt and pepper to taste.

Add the cheese and lemon and mix it all in.

That's it!


Then I got to thinking about that steak and what kind of little topping it would like. Herb butter? Balsamic reduction? Bleu cheese? Hmmm...ah ha! How about a balsamic bleu cheese sauce!



Looks like chocolate sauce! Anyway, I took some of my house-made balsamic reduction and added some bleu cheese dressing and cracked pepper to it.



Talk about your tasty treat sensation! So, I mentioned to My-Worst-Food-Critic-Poppy that I think I have too many sauces on the plate. Basically, looking at the plate, it's a plate full of fat. But the good news is while it is calorie-laden, the diet we're on has us burning fat instead of carbs, so it wasn't so bad. I know you're thinking, but what about cholesterol clogging up your arteries? Well, in all of the reading I've done on the subject since January; nowhere can it be proved that cholesterol causes heart disease. It's all the grains and other carbs that spikes your insulin level. Uh oh, now I'm getting all soapboxy...

Say, wanna talk about religion or politics?

Enjoy your bread and have a great holiday weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment