Friday, July 23, 2010

Thursday's Dinner



This is the kind of week it has been...

Dinner was a repeat of Wednesday's Dinner. Still NOM!

So today, another repair-guy is coming to look at the stove. I talked to this guy yesterday and asked if he'd worked on Wedgewood and he has so I'm feeling a wee bit more confident.

So check this out, Poppy is leaving tomorrow to go to Oregon to hook-up with MomJean. MomJean has rented a car and they will spend a week driving back down the coast. This means that I will have some serious "me" time. After Jax-The-Cheese-Connesewer and I drop our beloved Poppy at the airport, We'll head over to Seester Kathy's where we will cook and drink the Cava all day. We'll be staying the night there. Sounds like a perfect day to me. Seester Kathy has unearthed a very old recipe of mine called Broccoli Chicken Cheese Casserole. Here it is:

BROCCOLI CHICKEN CHEESE CASSEROLE


1 large onion, chopped
1 potato
1 package frozen veggies (use a broccoli mix), thawed
1 can sliced water chestnuts
3 cans Campbell’s Golden Mushroom Soup
4 boneless chicken boobs
1 16oz package shredded moozarella cheese
1 16oz package shredded sharp cheddar cheese


Preheat oven to 350. Boil chicken boobs for 20 minutes then cut into cubes. Slice potato into 1”
Cubes and put in boiling water for about 10 minutes. In a large bowl add veggies, water chestnuts, chicken, onion and potato and blend together.

In a large casserole dish put a little less than half of the chicken mixture then generously sprinkle some moozarella cheese on top and then add 1 can of soup. Repeat this step and then add the remainder of the soup on top so the whole casserole is covered. Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle shredded cheddar on top and bake for an additional 10 minutes at 400 until its bubbly. Serve over wide egg noodles.


I figure this recipe is from the early 90's so it can stand some revamping. The basic idea is good and it really does taste good but to look at it now, I'm having a little trouble with the Campbell's Soup ingredient. I'm thinking instead of all the soup chemicals, I'd probably make a mushroom gravy; made with bacon drippings, of course. Bacon, Bacon, Bacon. Might even add a little sour cream to that. Fat doesn't bother me as much as chemicals do. Chemicals bad; fat good, especially pig fat! bad. Besides, fat is a lubricant and we all need a little fat now and then. Another thing I was thinking of doing to the recipe is adding a few layers of lasagna noodles.

So we'll be making this recipe as is cause that's the way Seester Kathy remembers it and doesn't want to veer from the original recipe. We'll make that for her to have through the weekend. I also want to make beef stoganoff. But first for that recipe, I want to try my had at making a demi-glace.

This is gonna be fun. I'll try to remember to take pics.

Tonight, Poppy and I will head to the Parkside Tavern for happy hour $1 oysters! Then come home and have one of Poppy's famous turkey sandwiches. Multi-grain bread, turkey, avocado, sprouts and cheese. Served with a side of Kettle Chips. NOM!!!

Chow and have a swell weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment