Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Death of Toothy Carpenter...

At least that’s what we thought. Let me esplain…Some years back, Periodontal-Poppy had a root canal and crown put on her back molar (aka, second molar…not the third cause that’s your wisdom tooth). I guess, oh, about six months ago, it started giving her some trouble. After an infection, another root canal and a bunch of other stuff, it still hurts. The dentist let Prophylaxis-Poppy know that if it kept bothering her, she’d lose Toothy.


While we were on vacation a few weeks ago, Endodontic-Poppy was still having pain, so she called the doc and made the appointment to have Toothy removed. That appointment was yesterday.

At around 11:30 yesterday I got an email from Abscess-Poppy that said “Man, I feel like I’m going to a funeral.”

Yeah, now I’ve got coffee and whatever else coming out my nose cause I’m laughing so hard. I mean, how am I supposed to respond to that without being the insensagive person that I am? I email my friend, JOZ (who had this very same procedure two weeks ago) and tell her what Sad-Sack-Poppy said. JOZ’s response “Tell her I’m sorry for her loss!”

I respond back to Pitiful-Poppy and I say “Sweetie, it’s just a tooth…we’ll have a memorial when I get home.”

So now I’m thinking about the impact that Toothy is having on my girl and my mind starts to wander. You know, I’ve wanted to write a book so now I’m thinking…

Toothy Carpenter, a Memoir.

Toothy Carpenter, I Took A Bite Out Of Life.

Toothy Carpenter, Eat Me!

Or I thought about a poem that started “The death of a tooth…”

I asked Depression-Era-Poppy if she was bringing home the tooth. She said “Hell yes, it’s gold!”

So what else could I do?  Yeah, I made Toothy a coffin.



Now, I can’t help myself and I get carried away…I said there would be a memorial when I got home.



Oh, there was soup too!




Then I get an email from False-Alarm-Poppy that said “I’m on my way home and I still have my tooth!” I respond “WHAT??” Seriously, flowers, a card, chocolate, a coffin and soup and she still has her freakin tooth! WTF? I’ll yank that thing out myself.

So she gets home and sees the elaborate shrine/memorial stuff and says “Can I still open the card?”


GOD-DUH!!

But look how happy Novacaine-Poppy is...it's as if Toothy has been given a second chance at life.

May the road rise up to meet Toothy.
May the wind be always at Toothy’s back.
May the sun shine warm upon Toothy’s face;
the rains fall soft upon Toothy’s fields
and until we meet again,
may Dog hold Toothy in the palm of her paw.


No comments:

Post a Comment