Friday, July 20, 2012

Gentle Judy...

That was my Mom's nickname.  It was a well-earned nickname too.  I believe I've posted about it before so I don't want to repeat myself...oh, too bad, it's my blog and I can do what I want.

Dad happened to choke on a See's Milk Chocolate Covered Cherry (don't you be giving him any dark chocolate, for Christsakes!) and Mom thought he needed the Heimlich (mind you, he was coughing so that meant he was breathing) so she snuck up behind him and wrapped her arms around his ribcage and squeezed as hard as he could.  All I heard was..."JESUS cough CHRIST, cough I cough THINK cough YOU cough BROKE cough MY cough RIBS!"  I think that was the incident that earned her the nickname.  Dad even named his boat Gentle Judy.  Yeah, that was his boat that had the Buick V6 Block Engine or so that's what I remember Dad gushing about.  Say, let's consult the Internets:

The Buick 90 Degree V6 Engine



The Buick V6 started its production life in the 1962 Buick Special. It was a 90 degree engine and its first displacement was 198 CID. It was dubbed the "Fireball".


Buick had worked with the innovative 215 aluminum block V8 (later to be an Olds, then ultimately a Rover engine), but it was difficult to build and had its quirks. Buick set its sights on the iron block Fireball, derived from the 215 V8. However, it did not share engine block bolt patterns or engine mount bolt patterns.


Because the V6 was essentially a shortened V8, the engine had a unique odd-fire design - so called because of the unevenly spaced (at 90-150-90-etc.) firing impulses of this engine. This is the source of the characteristic and well-liked rumble.

NowZzzzzzzthat'sZzzzzzzinteresting! So it wasn't a block, it was a 90 degree engine.  Whatever.

Okay, why am I bringing up Gentle Judy?  Well, I guess one of the few things that I take after my Mother would be her gentle style (the other few things are her big boobies and narrow hips.  But wait, no more big boobies for me!).  For example, remember in my last post that I bought a coat rack?  Well, it came today...unassembled, much to my disappointment.  But the picture seemed pretty intuitive, and it even came with a little thing of glue, although the picture didn't esplain what I was supposed to do with said glue.


So, I put it together...



It was looking great, until...



Crap, I guess I know what the glue is for!

Speaking of which, time for another installment of Our New Office!

A few days after we all moved in and unpacked, one of my co-workers, bless their heart, said that they were unable to locate their stapler.  Mind you, we were given four crates in which to pack our junk.  How could you lose your stapler?  Anyway, I just happen to have one in stock; not just any stapler either, an ergonomic one!  That was a few days ago.  My co-worker just came to me with an example of how the ergonomic stapler is defective and they want another one.  Of course, I had to test it for myself...



I'm willing to admit that staple #6 gave me a wee trouble, but it did go in straight.

I had to begged my Administrative Assistant (hold the Secretary) friends for an extra stapler.  Got one...and you best bet I've tested it and it works perfectly.  Goodness freakin gracious, what a struggle this week has been.

So Fatass and LuvBacon are in their third week of Fat Adaptation.  Of course you want to know what that is.  As you know, we've continued on our low-carb lifestyle.  We're into our second year now.  But now it's time to kick it into gear and drop some weight.  Fat Adaptation is when you have your body burn Fat instead of Carbs.

This is achieved by eating fifty or under grams of carbs per day for 3 to 4 weeks.  You can actually do this permanently, but really, some fruit here and there would be nice.  Okay, so your carbs come from non-startchy veggies and some cheeses.  Not to get graphic, but you'd best include a lot of salad with that cause your "by-product" comes out like hard little Sugar Babies.  No foolin.  Fatass and LuvBacon have also limited their intake of Nectar of the Gods to only the weekend.  Good news; we're finally dropping some weight.  Bad news; Fatass misses her Nectar during the week.  It's so fun to cook and have a glass or two.  But it's Friday and that means it's the weekend!!

Fun-fact: Your body stores something called "kcals". This is where you get your energy. One gram of carbohydrate equals 4 kcals. Your carbohydrate fuel tank can store up to 1,600-2,000 kcals. Fat on the other hand contains 9 kcals per gram of fat. So that means you've got 40,000 kcals stored in your fat fuel tank (trust me, I didn't do the math, I'm cribbing).  So, if you get your carb intake under 50g per day, you'll start burning your fat.  Not only that, you'll have energy stores that will last you days instead of hours.

I can't believe I actually understand this stuff.



Anyway, Happy Friday!




No comments:

Post a Comment