Sunday, August 29, 2010

Saturday's Dinner


Taco night!!! So, in an effort to save some $$'s, I used my leftover frozen burger meat/spicy Italian sausage mix for the taco meat. A word of advice...Don't go messin' with Poppy's Taco Night. She and her family have been making tacos a certain way since, well, since the The Great Depression; you know, back when Poppy was born. I'm not even going to tell you how they make them cause every family has their way of making Taco Night.

I will tell you this and I'm sure I've mentioned it before...I like my tacos double-decker style so I get a soft corn tortilla and spread some refried beans on it then set the crunchy taco shell inside and then build my taco. No fuss, no muss. I made my own refried beans this time too.

Say, let's check in with another exciting episode of KEEPING UP WITH THE KECKY'S! We have Aurora Builder's coming on the 7th to put in some stairs from the deck down to the patio. So in anticipation of that, the Spider Trees (Junipers) needed to be trimmed back and then the Mini-Kasa Kecky needed to be taken down. Took me two days, but the job is done! Eric, the former owner of the New-Kasa-Kecky, is a contractor and built the Mini-Kasa Kecky as if he was building a real house. The guy does very good work, but it took me more than a day just to get the roof off!

Here are the trimmed Spider Trees:



See that bright green tree in the foreground? Peter Ehrlich, our forest guy, gave that to Poppy some years ago. It's a type of dwarf redwood tree that originates from Japan. What's really cool about it is the tree is deciduous. I'm not sure there are any other types of redwood trees that will lose their leaves. It's very happy here. It never liked the Presidio's weather.

Here's the Mini-Kasa Kecky:



Here's the patio without the Mini-Kasa Kecky:



So after I got it all apart there was still the foundation to deal with. It's very heavy. So I was able to lift it up only to find, among other creepy-crawly things, two very large Black Widow Spiders. That's when I called Poppy and told her to bring something to kill some really large spiders. Way I see it, better I get them before they get me! Poppy came out with a big rubber mallet. A job well done!

We got some new chairs for the deck too:



Poppy had a set of these chairs back in the 50's...after she survived The Great Depression.

A very productive weekend was had by the Kecky's!

No comments:

Post a Comment