Monday, March 5, 2012

Things that make you go Hmmm...

I went to return some disks in our supply cabinet at work. One of the lawyer folks I work with asked me if we had any staples cause he didn't see any in the cabinet. Said it wasn't a big deal cause he found a "work-around". This brought a couple of things to mind. When he said he found a work-around did that mean he was sticking papers together with his ABC spearmint gum or did it mean he just stole a stapler from the copy room?

But the more interesting thing that came to my mind was who invented the stapler? So I consulted my favorite website, Wikipedia, and here's what I found:

The first known stapler was handmade in the 18th century in France for King Louis XV. Each staple was inscribed with the insignia of the royal court, as required. The growing uses of paper in the 19th century created a demand for an efficient paper fastener.



In 1866, George McGill received U.S. patent 56,587 for a small, bendable brass paper fastener that was a precursor to the modern staple. In 1867, he received U.S. patent 67,665 for a press to insert the fastener into paper. He showed his invention at the 1876 Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and continued to work on these and other various paper fasteners through the 1880s. In 1868 a patent was also taken out for a stapler in England by C.H.Gould. As well, also in 1868, Albert Kletzker of St Louis, MO patented a device to staple paper.

In 1877 Henry R. Heyl filed patent number 195603 for the first machines to both insert and clinch a staple in one step, and for this reason some consider him the inventor of the modern stapler. In 1876 and 1877 Heyl also filed patents for the Novelty Paper Box Manufacturing Co of Philadelphia,PA,[8] However, the N. P. B. Manufacturing Co.'s inventions were to be used to staple boxes and books.

The first machine to hold a magazine of many preformed staples came out in 1878.
On February 18, 1879, George McGill received patent 212,316 for the McGill Single-Stroke Staple Press, the first commercially successful stapler. This device weighed over two and a half pounds and loaded a single 1/2 inch wide wire staple, which it could drive through several sheets of paper.

The first published use of the word "stapler" to indicate a machine for fastening papers with a thin metal wire was in an advertisement in the American Munsey's Magazine in 1901.

In the early 1900s, several devices were developed and patented that punched and folded papers to attach them to each other without a metallic clip. The Clipless Stand Machine (made in North Berwick) sold from 1909 into the 1920s. It cut a tongue in the paper that it folded back and tucked in. Bump's New Model Paper Fastener used a similar cutting and weaving technology.

In 1941 the type of paper stapler that is the most common in use today was developed: the four way paper stapler. With the four way, the operator could either use the stapler to staple papers to wood or card board, or used to staple like pliers for bags, or the normal way with two options, one the standard with the staples going inward or turning the plate and the staples going outward.


Then I got to thinking that my stapler and I have been together for almost 24 years.



She is the full-on heavy metal Swingline stapler. For some reason, it will only work for me. BK has often tried to use it over the last 24 years and always gives up cause it won't work for her. I do consider her a wee mechanically challenged, but c'mon, it's a stapler! When it's time for me to take the big sleep, I want to be buried with my faithful stapler.

Speaking of 24 years, that means that BK and I have been together just as long. I was hired to work for her and another lawyer. Only thing is that she was on maternity (Happy Birthday again Sydney!) leave so she never interviewed me.

As luck would have it, we seemed to click. The other lawyer I worked for didn't like me very much so we divorced. Actually, I've worked with a lot of other lawyers, but BK has always been my #1.

As I said to BK's daughters "Why does BK get thinner and better looking as she ages and I get fatter and dumpier?" Annie answered "In case you haven't noticed BK does not exactly fit under the category of mortal." Evidently, I work for a Superhero!

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment