Sunday, March 4, 2012

Heat Wave!!

That's right folks...the temps have been running in the high 60's so that means a heat wave to Fatass! Sweating makes Fatass grumpy. Oh, speaking of Fatass...her mission, that started at the end of February, was to lose 30lbs by her birthday. So far, not so good.

According to my Terra Nova graduate math, in order for Fatass to lose said weight, she will need to drop 1.9 pounds per day starting today. Can she do it? I say YES! She'll have to start tomorrow though cause her clan is coming for the dinnah and there's Cava in the fridge...and Porcine-Poppy is making chocolate drizzled Becky-Bacon.

Not only is the clan coming over, but included in the clan is Nephew-Lucas and he's bringing GF-Kelly, who I've not met. So weird, I swear it was just yesterday he was pooping the color chartrousse in his diapers cause I gave him a bunch of blueberries.

Speaking of poop, ever eat a bunch of beets and think you're dying when the by-product comes out?

MomJean has been with us for a while now. We met FFM-Laurie in Linda Mar yesterday for a little walkie and them some breakfast at High Tides. That place is a treasure! Food was awesome!

Mmmmmimosa!



I like to call this pic "Oh no you DID-ENT!"



Gamer-Poppy finally found someone she could play geeky computer games with...who knew it would be MomJean?!



Okay, so I've been cooking a fair bit this past week. Let me tell you, this is one tough crowd! As you know My-Worst-Food-Critic-Poppy is not quick with the compliment...

Monday: Steak, creamed spinach and brussly sprouts.

Steaks (I seasoned w/Kecky's Steak Shake and Poppy pan-fried).

Creamed spinach made with cream, parm, nutmeg, finished w/lemon juice, salt/pepper.

Very thinly julienned salami that I sauteed in olive oil, drained from the pan then used the flavored oil and cooked the brussly sprouts. Added the salami back in.

Comment: The steaks are too salty.

Tuesday: Salmon w/wasabi sauce, dry-fried green beans w/mushrooms and arugula salad.

For the wasabi sauce I start with about a cup of water and half-cup soy sauce. Add a little bit of chili sesame oil and diced shallot. I simmer until it's reduced a bit. Let cool. Once cool I add probably 3 tablespoons to 3/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup mayo and about a tablespoon of finely diced shallot and a bunch of wasabi paste. Stir it all together and stick it in the fridge.

Chop up some shroomies and throw them in a pan with a little olive oil. Once they cooked a wee, it tossed in the rest of the soy liquid and let that reduce a bit. Once it was done, I pulled out the mushrooms.

For the beans, I blanched them and then get them as dry as possible. In a very hot oiled pan they go and fry them by tossing them around letting them get that brown on them. Once they were pretty much done, I tossed in the shroomies and the soy liquid.

For the arugula salad, I made a dressing of seasoned rice vinegar, cider vinegar, wee bit of sesame oil, wee bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. The seasoned rice vinegar added a sweet that cut a little of the bitter in the arugula...just a little though cause I like the bitter.

Poppy cooked the salmon (mine was over-cooked but I didn't say anything).

Comment: None.

Okay, now I'm getting frustrated. Gonna have to really out do myself. So last night was more salmon, beets, beet greens and sweet baby broccoli.

Salmon: Poppy seasoned with my lemon-dill salt-n-pepper and broiled.

Beets: I tented them in foil w/a few allspice berries, bay leave garlic, salt and pepper. In the oven for a couple of hours.

Beet greens: Sauteed in a little olive oil then added chicken stock, a touch of Worcestershire and pepper.

Sweet Baby Broc: same deal as the beans, soy, hot chili sesame oil.

Also had the leftover wasabi sauce.



Comment: Guess I nailed it cause there were yum yum noises and a few "This is really good."

Tonight's le menu:

Spit roasted chicken
Dry-fried green beans (sorry, my people really like them)
Tarragon baby carrots
roasted red and white potatoes

I'll let you know how it all goes.

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment