Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Stupid-Rock!

Oh fine...Per Proud-Of-Her-Stupid-Rock-Poppy's comment on yesterday's blog, here's her Stupid-Rock in its final resting place.







Last Sunday, we went antique shopping. Techno-Poppy is looking for just the right what's-old-is-new-again shelving system for all her electronicals. We didn't find anything, but ended up in the Mission for some low-carb tacos (aka taycohs). After that we went into a Mexican market. Eye-Spy-Poppy saw a bag of Tamarind and said that you can make a drink out of it. It's a sweet and tangy drink.



I've had Tamarind once before some years ago when we went to see MomJean. MomJean's friend, Rowena, made us all an authentic Filipino meal. But wait, how come Filipino is defined as a person from the Philippines yet it's spelled with and "F" and not a "Ph". I think I'll have to consult Wikipedia on that!

So the Tamarind was used in a dessert. The dinner was fabulous, but I'm funny about my dessert and I didn't care for it so I was a little hesitant to make a drink out of the stuff. But, what Mi-Poppy wants, Mi-Poppy gets!

I found a recipe on that thing with all the wires and tubes. Then redesigned it to be low-carb. Check it out...

Also, I can tell you that, once cooked, Tamarind bears a striking resemblance to Hanky-The-Christmas-Pooh. See?





Here's what you'll need for some yummy Agua de Tamarindo:

15 Tamarind pods (there were only 13 in the bag)
32oz of water
1 cup sugar (I used just about a half cup of Truvia)

First remove the hard shell and the other-worldly looking string stuff from the pod (now it's looking like something from Invasion of the Body Snatchers). Bring the water to a boil, throw in the Tamarind and Truvia, give it a stir and remove it from the heat. Let stand for 90 minutes.

Now comes the fun part...stick your hands in the pot and remove the hard seed from the pod. Once that's all done throw it in a blender. I used my immersion blender. Then run all that through a sieve.



And there you have it!



Although, I can't drink it straight, it's really good with ice and some fizzy water.

Now I'm hooked and will be making lots more.

See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment