Monday, February 25, 2013

Offal Isn't Awful...

Remember the half-a-happy-cow we bought?  Well, we also asked for all the other parts and pieces too.  Things like the tongue, liver and kidneys.  Principles-Poppy and I figure we would be showing respect to our happy cow if we eat most all of him.  So guess what I did on Saturday?  Yep...

Open wide and say "aaaahhhhh":

 
Figured we'd have some lengua tacos.  So I boiled that lengua in water, bay leaf, peppercorns, onions and garlic for about 3 hours...

 
Meanwhile, I wanted to make some tomatillo salsa verde so I roasted the tomatillos, garlic and a jalapeno...

 
Stuck that in a food processor with some lime and onions...



Taaaa Duhhh!  Really, really NOM!

Don't-Make-Me-Eat-Liver-Poppy isn't a fan of the liver.  Bless her heart though cause whenever I order it, she'll give it a try, but it just doesn't agree with her.  It agrees with me just fine so here's how it went down...

First, you soak it in milk for a few hours:


That's supposed to take the bitter taste out of it.  Jax-The-Sewer had a little milky/liver cocktail when it was done soaking.  Near as I could tell, she didn't find it bitter at all.

Then I fried it up with some onions, mushrooms and bell peppers.  Damn tasty!


Next on the offal parade will be the kidneys, but I'm not entirely sure I can or want to eat that.  I'll need to search my Internets for some fabulous recipes.

See ya!








No comments:

Post a Comment