Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Feast of St. Valentine!

Yep, it's Valentine's Day.  There's all kinds of red-foiled, heart shaped chocolate, baked goods and long stem roses floating around the office.  Got me to thinking about the history behind this day...yep, checked out my Internets:

Saint Valentine's Day, commonly known as Valentine's Day, or the Feast of Saint Valentine, is observed on February 14 each year. It is celebrated in many countries around the world, although it remains a working day in most of them.

St. Valentine's Day began as a liturgical celebration of one or more early Christian saints named Valentinus. The most popular martyrology associated with Saint Valentine was that he was imprisoned for performing weddings for soldiers who were forbidden to marry and for ministering to Christians, who were persecuted under the Roman Empire; during his imprisonment, he is said to have healed the daughter of his jailer Asterius. Legend states that before his execution he wrote her a letter "from your Valentine" as a farewell.  Today, Saint Valentine's Day is an official feast day in the Anglican Communion, as well as in the Lutheran Church.
 
Well, isn't that interesting?  Sounds to me like an excuse to eat whatever you want...so I think that's what I'll do.
 
 
 
More importantly though, it's a time to think about my Valentine, Hearts-O-Far-Poppy!  She still has the ability to make my heart go pitter-patter...in a good way, not like a heart murmur or anything.  We're heading into our 10th year together and it's just as fun as it was ten years ago, only better.  Well, except for all that aging body junk.
 
Anyway, to my Poppy...You will always be the moon of my sun!
 
I
 
 
YOU!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment