Friday, March 1, 2013

No pretty pictures for this writing...

So get over it.

I'm really ticked off right now.  Been spending a few days with Dad while his main caregivers take a break and go visit their daughter in Portland.  Today, Dad and I went to see a movie and to Taco Bell for his #8 crunchy and my #3 crunchy.  That's exactly and I mean, exactly, how I ordered it.  The dropout behind the counter says "For here or to go?"  I say "For here."  She gives me my receipt and tells me I'm number 210.

Dad finds a seat and I get our drinks.  I tell Dad that I can't hear the guy calling the numbers so I go up to the counter and I wait. The guy puts a bag up on the counter and says 209.  I wait longer.  He asks what number I am.  I say 210.  He says the bag is mine.  I said "but my order was for here."  He tries to hand me a tray.  I say it doesn't matter.  I take the bag and go sit down.

I start taking things out of the bag and notice that it's the wrong order, which I thought all along.  I go back and tell the guy and he disagrees with me.  Then he takes my receipt and starts pointing at it.  Ahhhh...what my receipt said was #3 and #9...not a #8.  Then I swear to Cod, the dude goes "You really need to confirm the order when she repeats it back."  Are you F-ING KIDDING ME!?  I know what I said...#3 and #8 and it's FOR HERE!  No, shit...back in the day when I worked at Taco Bell, I would have been fired for telling a customer they were wrong.  Why?  Yeah, because the customer is always right, that's why!

Have I ever mentioned that Pacifica is like a visit to the Twilight Zone.  Taco Bell was bad enough, but now I gotta go buy a pair of shoelaces.  I figure I'll run into Rite Aid, even though I know I'm going to be stepping into some kind of time warp.  Don't ask me why, but once you enter that building it's as if you've entered another realm.

I find my shoelaces but I'm not sure what color I want.  I figure it's not like I can't use two pairs, so I get both.  The price of a pair of shoelaces is $5.45.  Crazy, huh?  So I go up to the counter where there's some kind of shit-storm going on and I know I'm going to be here for a lifetime.  I'm listening to two workers yell back and forth..."Steve will be up in a minute." worker says.  The other worker says "Sheve, who is Sheve?" Oh for Christ sakes!  I get up to the counter and give her my shoelaces.  She rings them up and says in a surprised raised voice "TEN DOLLARS!"  I go "Yeah, who knew shoelaces were so expensive, but really, how often do you buy shoelaces?"  I figured that was an intelligent response.  She totally starts mumbling about how everything these days is expensive.  Get me the hell out of there!

As I said earlier, I'm staying with Dad for a few days.  The first morning, Dad had watched the Pope leave office.  He came out and said...

Dad: Well, the Pope is gone.
Me: He was really old.
Dad: Yeah, he was really frail.
Dad: Did you know there are 1.2 billion Catholics in the world?
Me: Nope. That's a lot of Catholics!
Dad: Yeah, I hate Catholics!
Me: That's a lot of people to hate...

Before we left to see a movie today I asked...

Me: Dad, what kinds of treats do you get when you go see a movie?
Dad: I don't get anything...that place is a gyp-joint!
Me: Oh.

We saw Silver Lining Playbook.  I really had no desire to see it and Picture-Show-Poppy can tell you it takes a lot to get me to the movie theatre, especially if it's sunny out.  I've had trouble even remembering the name of the flick we were going to see.  Kept thinking it was something about singing playbooks or something.  Anyhoo, way good.  That's the kind of movie that sticks with you for a while.

I also had rented the Ten Commandments figuring Dad would enjoy that and I've been wanting to see it.  This is one of the movies we'd watch every Easter.  It's one long movie too...3.5 hours.  We were almost done when Dad stood up and said...

Dad: What time is it?
Me: 9:20.
Dad: I'm going to bed!
Me: Don't you want to see the end of the movie?
Dad: Oh hell no, what a stupid movie!
Me: But Dad, it's history...right out of the Bible.
Dad: Really?
Me: Yeah, really...Kind of cool God talks from a burning bush!
Dad: I'm going to bed.
Me: Heathen.

Have a nice weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment