Sunday, November 25, 2012

And now it's all over...

One holiday down, one to go!  I can't even think of putting anymore Thanksgiving in my mouth...thanks but no thanks!  here's the last of the Thanksgiving slurry that I et:


We also served prime rib so I made Yorkshire Pudding for the first time.  That was really cool.  Do you know the history of Yorkshire Pudding?  I didn't.  Why consult the Internets when I have Poppy-Pedia right here.  Seems that the poor folks would only get the drippings from the meat so to make something out of the drippings to fill the tummy, somebody came up with Yorkshire Pudding.  Not sure I believe it.  Where did they get the drippings and yet none of the meaty bits?

So I consulted the Internets after all.  Basically, it's the same, except they did have the meat; it was a way to stretch the meal.  In fact, it was served as a first course.  So there you go!  Oh, and it's not considered Yorkshire Pudding unless it's at least four inches tall.  Mine was not, so it's called "Dripping Pudding".

Here's Seester making her famous deviled eggs:


Oh and Pumpkin-Poppy made the family's Triangle-C Pumpkin Cheesecake:


Uber-NOM!

So everyone kept saying how moist the turkey was.  I couldn't figure it out cause it was just a regular Merican Foster Farms turkey.  I put rosemary, a head of garlic and some shallots in the cavity; rubbed the outside with butter, salt and pepper and that was it...until long after Turkey-Carving-Poppy and I were home and she told me she found the bag of giblets in the cavity!

Here's the thing, I thought it was weird that those nice Merican folks at Foster Farms would only put the neck in the cavity.  I swear, I rooted around in that cavity, which wasn't that big, more than once and from both ends and found nothing!

At least the bag was paper and not plastic!

Note to self: for a very moist turkey, leave the bag-o-giblets in the cavity.

Moving on...I spied a bag in the freezer marked "pork bits".  Say, let's make pork chili!!!  So that's what I did.  Even more Nom than my "Giblet Turkey".




Normally, I wouldn't have salad with chili, but I'd not seen anything green in days...

Later!


No comments:

Post a Comment