Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Toot Sweet...

I'll have Word Origins for $100, Alex...

I needed to turn a Purchase Request around really fast today.  When I sent it to the approver, I asked her to approve it "fast as a bunny."  When I forwarded the email to BK, I didn't want to use the same phrase so I told her that I'd asked the approver to get it done "toot sweet".  That got me thinking...what is the origin of toot sweet?  Mmmm, hmmm...let's consult the Internets!

Toot Sweets" is a song from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, the 1968 musical motion picture. In the film it is sung by Dick Van Dyke and Sally Ann Howes. "Toot Sweets" is also featured prominently in the multi-award winning stage musical of the same name which premiered in London at the Palladium in 2002 and on Broadway in 2005 at the newly refurbished Foxwoods Theatre (then the Hilton Theatre). The song was written by Robert B. Sherman and Richard M. Sherman (also known as the Sherman Brothers).
 
The song title is a play on words, a humorous Anglicisation of the French expression "tout de suite", meaning "at once". In the context of the film and stage musical, "Toot Sweets" is about a candy cane that has holes in it, making the candy playable as an edible tin-whistle. Unfortunately for protagonist Caractacus Potts, the "Toot Sweets" act like dog whistles, calling all the local canines into the candy factory (not unlike the Pied Piper of Hamelin), ruining the sanitary conditions of the factory and turning love interest Truly's father against him
 
So this explains why I did not know the origin...I freakin hate musicals!!  Seester got the musical/theatre gene not me.  Give me a freakin action movie and I'm good.
 
Now, I know it seems like I hate a lot of stuff, but I think I like more stuff than I hate...
 
I like:
Um...well...hmmm...I know there's something...I'll need to get back to you.
 
Besides minkeys, hobbits and musicals, I don't like:
the general public;
escargot (tried it Friday night; looked like mini-penises on a plate);
people who interrupt without saying "excuse me", "pardon" or "con permiso";
the sun;
bending over;
a leaky spout on a teakettle;
mice;
mouse poop;
eating dirt;
the saying "That's what I'm talkin about!";
having my boobs squished;
going to work;
those black birds; what are they? Ravens or Crows.  Flying rats, that's what they are;
emptying the dishwasher;
Roger when she's sitting two inches from my face and sneezes;
Kernel-The-Printer;
not having cream for my coffee;
people who ask stupid questions.
 
I'm sure there are many, many other things, but I'm getting bored with this...
 
On Sunday, me, Picture-Show-Poppy and some friends of ours went to brunch and then to see Skyfall.  Let's talk about brunch...We went to 1300 Fillmore.  I forgot the address so don't ask me.  As it happens, on Sundays they have two seatings, one at 11:00 and one at 1:00.  It's a southern restaurant and those two seatings are referred to as Gospel Brunch.  Why?  Because they have a band that plays Gospel music.  They also charge you each an additional $6 for said Gospel music.
 
Since we'd had a pretty good storm the night before, upon arriving to the restaurant, we found out that the floor above had some flooding issues and the power was off.  The restaurant was running on a generator.  The band started and near as I can figure, it wasn't the kind of Gospel music I was expecting.  I was expecting some wholly-roller stuff and maybe a little speaking in tongues.  I recognized one tune to be a religious song.  I know this cause I heard "Round young virgin tender and mild."  Why does Mary sound like an entree?
 
Food was okay.  My eggs were better than their eggs.  The grits were really good.  Anyway, for the $$$ we don't feel the need to go back. 
 
As we were sitting there, someone at the table behind me knocked over a glass of something.  NayNay-Mae immediately commented how cool it was that it wasn't me who spilled...the seed was planted.
 

Lucky for me it was just a dribble and not a full-on spill.  I have no idea how it happened either.  If you are wondering about that Bloody Mary, it is indeed a Virgin BM.  Wow, now we're attaching the word "bloody" to the virgin.  I don't like where this is headed.  Sounds like someone murdered poor Mary-The-Entree.

I discovered that a Virgin Bloody Mary is nothing more than liquidy cocktail sauce.  I'm starting to realize you shouldn't drink drinks that were made to have alcohol in them.  It's like a vegetarian eating facon or tofurkey.  It's not good so don't do it.  If you're going to do it, suck it up and do the real deal!

Speaking of facon, some weeks ago, before I became a virgin drinker, Poppy, Jax-The-Amazing-Barfing-Dog and I were at our local hangout.  The bartender was serving bacon bloody marys.  I had to have one.  She also asked if she could give the little dog a piece of bacon.  Of course we said yes!  But the I realized the bacon, was in fact, facon!  Within minutes I see Jax (who is sitting on Poppy's lap) projectile vomit that darn facon.  Told you she was a connesewer!  Thank Dog-Up-Above, she missed the bar and it hit the floor. 

Here's the ingredients for the facon:

EGG WHITES, SOYBEAN OIL WITH TBHQ FOR FRESHNESS, TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, WHEAT GLUTEN, HYDROLYZED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (CORN GLUTEN, WHEAT GLUTEN, SOY), CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF GLYCERIN, SALT, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, SODIUM CITRATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, SUGAR, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS FROM NON-MEAT SOURCES, TORULA YEAST, CARAMEL COLOR, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE, NATURAL SMOKE FLAVOR, MALIC ACID, GUAR GUM, YEAST EXTRACT, LOCUST BEAN AND GUAR GUM, SODIUM SULFITE, CARRAGEENAN, RED #3, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, NIACINAMIDE, IRON [FERROUS SULFATE], AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, NONFAT DRY MILK, YELLOW #6, VITAMIN B1 [THIAMIN MONONITRATE], VITAMIN B6 [PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE], VITAMIN B2 [RIBOFLAVIN], CITRIC ACID, CYANOCOBALAMIN.

No wonder she Ragen'd all over the place.  I'm not even sure I'd feed it to those little jerk mice in our garage.  It would probably make them mutant!

So, our Heat-Seeking-Cat-Roger just loves to sit on top of Pooter-Poppy's computer.  Poppy usually puts foil or a hat on the computer so Roger won't sit on it.  Here is the latest Heat-Seeking-Roger deterrent:


Yeah, that's a pillow.  Someone wasn't thinking straight when they came up with that idea. 


Bye-bye!



 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment